Don’t worry about anything. Hmmmm. That means DON’T worry about:
- lack of work
- the contents of Spam (the magical canned meat AND that unrequested email)
- potential cancer, diabetes, or death
- potential warts…on your nose
- the past
- the future
- that ding-ding-ding sound under the hood of your car
- who the kids marry
- will the kids marry?!?!?!
- how many bugs are allowed in the manufacture of hot dogs?
- are the free range chickens really free range? If so, how did they end up on the menu?
- what will the world be like tomorrow?
- or next year?
- or for my kids and grandkids??
The problem with worrying about some of that stuff is that we have no control over it. And up to 92% of what we worry about are things that will never happen and/or are completely insignificant!
Which means: we are trading today’s brave for tomorrow’s possible but (in many cases) highly improbable problems.
Put another way:
Our worry doesn’t make tomorrow better, it only makes today worse.
Let’s be honest, that statement makes our worrying look really really stupid. “Why yes! I’d like to ruin today by doing something wasteful, ineffective and totally worthless. Why not? I’m sure my family will love me for it!!”
Time is valuable. There is not down time, spare time, saved time. You only have one life time, and it is valuable.
When we worry we are trading a precious, limited commodity (time) for something worthless. That’s a horrible investment.
Don’t worry. Instead:
Pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Philippians. 4:6
That’s the trade off.
Pray when? At the moment of worry. Like right now.
Pray where? Right here.
Pray how? Tell God what you need.
Pray how many times? As many times as you worry. If you worry 300 times a day, pray 300 times a day.
Drop worry like a hot rock. Pick up prayer…
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7 (NLT)