I think, “last words” are fascinating. You want your last words to be packed full of power, jammed full of meaning, and slammed with significance!
Here my top eight “last words”:
1. “You won’t get me alive!” THINK before you throw down a life or death challenge.
2. “I bet I can fit in there!” I did laugh when I read this (it’s from a joke list-not an obituary-don’t have a cow).
3. “That birthmark on your head looks like 999.” RUN FOR THE HILLS!
4. Convicted murder Thomas J. Grasso just before his execution: “I did not get my Spaghetti-O’s; I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.” I can understand the frustration – Spaghetti-O’s are a superior noodle and tomato-based entree, but there just HAS to be something more significant say at the end of a misspent life. HAS to be!
5. “The earth is suffocating . . . swear to make them cut me open so that I won’t be buried alive.” Frederic Chopin, composer, 1849. He was cremated. I completely relate to this sentiment. Horrified me as a kid. Today I want to be cremated only because I see no point in buying real estate I can’t enjoy.
6. “Don’t you dare ask God to help me.” Joan Crawford, actress, 1977 to her housekeeper, who had begun to pray aloud. If you’re dying, don’t start mouthing off about God! Have some sense of your own mortality.
7. “You have won, O Galilean.”
Roman emperor and Constantine descendant Julian, when he tried to quash the original endorsement to Christianity of the Roman Empire. He was the last non-Christian ruler of the Roman Empire. Known as Julian the Apostate.
This is pure legend. But…as legends go, I like it! And Jesus did win.
And……….my favorite (humanly speaking):
8. “I’m going to be with Gloria now.”
Jimmy Stewart (who is just the best) to his family just before dying in 1997, referring to his wife, Gloria, who had passed away three years earlier. The actor, 89 when he died, apparently never got over his wife’s death. The two were married 44 years.
BUT…BEST Last Word…(it’s His second to last sentence but still falls into the category of, “last words.”)
Jesus said: It is finished. John 19:30
The price has been paid. The blood has been shed.
He has done everything necessary for all of our sin to be washed away! Every other religion is about what we do to get to God. But in Christianity, Jesus did it all. That is so, so good.
Max Lucado says:
“Jesus places ‘do not enter signs’ all over the gateway to hell, and He announces to anyone who wants to go, ‘if you go you’ve gotta go over My dead body.'”
IT…IS…FINISHED. I love that Jesus said that! So I’ve repented of my sins and surrendered my life to Him as my Master and my Savior.
You should too.
If you like this, post it, Facebook it, Tweet it, Share it, or comment below, etc.
Click HERE! 8 Life Changing Reasons to Subscribe!! (just click that little “follow” button on the main page).